Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet

 I surprisingly enjoyed doing the spreadsheet on Google. I love the fact that I could calculate the average, sum, median of rows/columns of numbers instantly.  I've had some experience using Microsoft Excel, but never on Google Spreadsheets. I started by watching the video tutorials, it was pretty straight forward. It was super easy and fast using Google spreadsheet. I feel like it's lot more user friendly then Excel. 

Click here to access the spreadsheet. 

Looking at the graph we could see that the majority of the class that scored below average performed better as the class progressed. All but one student improved on the last test, Queen.  Queen,  was slowly improving but she scored 5 points lower on test 10. Most of the students had steady improvements. Approximately half of the students had significant improvements and did better then the class average on the last test. For example Dan received a 170 on test 6, and improved on several of the following tests. He scored 215 on the last test. It also looks like a couple of students like Katherine, had on and off days. Where they improved significantly on one test and  did worse on the next.

As a teacher, I think I would follow up with the students that are performing poorly and see how they are understanding the subjects.  Also, I think it would be a good idea to stay after school to have a help session for the students that need the extra assistance. I would probably check up on what's going on with the personal lives of the students that have had unstable test scores.

1 comment:

  1. SUPERB. Looks terrific, including analyzing the results.

    ReplyDelete